Rare Book School (RBS) seeks a bright and highly-motivated individual to help support the School’s fundraising operations as we embark upon our most ambitious campaign to date. The full-time development assistant will be responsible for development administration, prospect research, and support of solicitation and stewardship cycles. Our office is fast-paced, and our hardworking staff is passionate about the School’s mission as well as the humanities in general. This position may require occasional evening and weekend work. RBS is a 501(c)3 affiliated foundation of the University of Virginia with offices in Alderman Library and at the Boar’s Head.
Job duties to include:
- Manage the timely acknowledgement of gifts and assure that all types of donations (cash, pledges, matching gifts, and planned gifts) are properly documented
- Prepare accurate research on prospects and assemble materials for cultivation and solicitation visits
- Generate clear, action-oriented meeting notes for the department and for two trustee committees
- Ensure data integrity through accurate data entry and ongoing clean-up efforts
- Coordinate the production and distribution of recurring appeals and stewardship materials
- Assist with the writing and editing of appeals, acknowledgements, donor news, reports, and proposals
- Collaborate with various departments to plan special events
- Communicate with donors in person, on the phone, and by email
- Process incoming and outgoing mail
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of experience in an office environment
- Excellent communication skills and judgement with the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel; experience with donor databases and design software a plus
- Comfortable in a Mac environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Familiarity with non-profits, research methods, data standards, and databases
- Interest in fundraising
- Affinity for the humanities/arts/culture
Please send résumé, cover letter, and a short sample of professional writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 October 2017.
Rare Book School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.